Nintendo product

The price difference of the same product between different types of outlets becomes 100%

Shopping and looking for the best prices, even in the same region or locality, can be an odyssey in Argentina today (Maximiliano Luna)

Shopping and searching for the best prices, even in the same region or locality, can be an odyssey in Argentina today. The gap is so big that it is practically impossible to find a product at the same price in two different stores. The difference is not only between the canals, in terms of mass consumption, with gaps reaching up to 25 points between the modern canal and the traditional canal, but they are already between the adjacent houses which could be a few blocks away of houses.

a survey conducted by infobae Confirms what food, cleaning and toiletries companies are already warning about and the consumer themselves suffers day after dayIn some cases, the difference can reach 100%, and even more if the customer takes advantage of the offers usually offered by large supermarket chains.

Historically, chains were cheaper than nearby stores, but during the pandemic the price gap has widened from peak prices (Del Río)

As the president of the consulting firm Sentia explains, osvaldo del rioChains have historically been cheaper than local stores, but the price gap has widened significantly from peak prices during the pandemic, widening last year and remaining through 2022, although with a difference minor. This situation has led to a price difference between the chains which today averages 25%.

For the analysis, prices were studied in two mini-markets and a Chinese supermarket in the same area, as well as online prices in one of the larger chains. About fifty items were analyzed and a difference of up to 100% between the most expensive and the least expensive was found. In all cases, the average is about 30 percent,

The list of products was chosen at random and where the biggest difference was found in the 500 gram Natura mayonnaise and the 1.5 liter Coca-Cola. In the first case, while in the two supermarkets and in the super Chinese the price is $504; In the wider range, $510 and $515, it costs $236, a difference of 118% between this price and the most expensive. In turn, in the case of soft drinks, the prices offered were $297 in one store, $270 in the other; $250 in Chinese supermarkets and $146.10 in chains. It should be noted that the Classic line is in the price list of care, and light No, but the fact that one participates in the program means that the other, who consumes less, has the same price.

The gap widens when products include care value, as the program does not apply to local businesses. Also, Since the increase authorized by the government for these items does not cover the inflation of each month, not even close, they go back and forth from the rest., even those sold by chains in these categories. “This increases the consumption of these products above the historical average and creates supply problems”, they point out in this area.

When the products include the prices of care, the gap becomes more important, because the program does not apply to local businesses.

Another example of a product that incorporates Care Price is the 360 ​​gram Sancor milk cream. While it costs $296.64 at the chain, it costs $491 and $525, respectively, at the two convenience stores surveyed. In this case, the difference increases to 77%.

bidding competition

What makes the difference between local businesses and big supermarkets even more are the promotions and discounts that the chains usually offer. For example, a bottle of La Serenissima Long Life Milk costs $213 at one convenience store, $219 at another, and $211.95 on the chain’s digital platform. In other words, in this case the difference reaches 27%. But if the consumer decides to buy 4 units, the unit price drops to $158.96; in this case, difference drops to about 38%. And the same goes for many other products.

,The price difference between neighborhood businesses depends on when they buy, how they buy, where they do it and how marginalized they are., Comparing this with any range, the consumer will always find that more of the products in the range are less expensive, although there are usually certain items where they make a difference. When we measure the price difference between channels, the discounts offered by the channels are affected because this is the price at which customers pay for the product, but we do not consider these cards due to certain bank promotions. it could make the equation even better,” Del Rio said.

Other examples of distortions found in the survey were: a kilo of 0000 flour costs $209 and $179 at the two convenience stores and $152 (38% difference) at the largest chain; A 500 gram bag of Gallo Oro rice costs $137 in local stores; $180 in Chinese supermarkets and $126 in chains (42% difference between highest and lowest prices); Arker Light Strawberry Jam is $390, $425; $330 and $468.39 respectively. In this case, curiously, the price of the largest chain is the most expensive and the Chinese the cheapest.,

In turn, the La Serenissima 1% skimmed milk sachet costs $190 at a super small store and $164 at a Chinese store, $164 at another and $139.85 at the chain, which is a difference of 36 %. Something similar happens with Ledesma sugar: it costs between 220 – “promotional price” – in Chinese supermarkets, $240 and $263 in two convenience stores.

This survey also compared the price of a Chinese pack of Fargo Whole Grain Bread and found the cheapest, again, in the chain, where it is $415.99. In other stores, they vary between $470 and $520. And in the case of the 2-liter Classic Ayudín Bleach, the lowest price was found at a convenience store ($215), and the most expensive, in the series (269.99 pesos).

The world of mass consumption has approximately 280,000 points of sale, of which 30% (70,000) are supermarkets, and the remaining 70% (210,000) correspond to stores, kiosks, convenience stores, butchers.

There are approximately 280,000 points of sale in the world of mass consumption, of which 30% (70,000) are large supermarkets, and the remaining 70% (210,000) are linked to stores, kiosks, convenience stores, butchers, etc. .

Food industry sources said infobae that “there is not that much of a price difference between the chains – maybe 3 to 4% – but The traditional circuit has such a degree of arbitrage that when the point of sale is reached, with transport and logistics costs that vary by region, the differences can be greater., Moreover, in times of inflation, all parties are skeptical because they do not know how long later they can buy the same goods, and this creates a complete disaster, which does not only happen in our region , but also in the economy. In all areas “.

continue reading:

The interest rate in Argentina is the highest in the world: how does it compare to other countries

Cuts Care: What are the new meat prices agreed by government and producers

Government asks agricultural exporters to enter $1 trillion next week

Deflation in Brazil: The price index marked -0.68% in July, the biggest drop since 1980